Habitat for Humanity International, Americus, Ga.
Writer/editor, Program Communications, March 2011-present
- Coordinate Youth Programs materials and manage communications to more than 60,000 volunteers.
- Plan communications, speakers and plenary sessions for the annual Youth Leadership Conference, which engages more than 300 youth and young professionals.
- Operate @HabitatYouth and various social media communication pieces to engage with youth volunteers through Habitat for Humanity International. Accounts currently engage more than 3,000 volunteers and affiliates.
- Reported for Habitat for Humanity International on disaster recover in Alabama and New Jersey, Young Professionals, AmeriCorps and Build-a-Thon, advocacy and Habitat on the Hill, anniversaries of Collegiate Challenge and Youth Programs, and various stories showing the long-term impact of Habitat on homeowners through our “Why We Build” series.
- Regularly work with awesome youth ages 5 to 25 and marvel that I call my day a “job.”
The Augusta Chronicle, Augusta, Ga.
South Carolina Bureau Chief, March 2010-March 2011
- Supervise the daily coverage of Aiken and Edgefield counties for The Augusta Chronicle, a 75,000 daily newspaper. Provide compelling and accurate coverage of breaking news, while maintaining beat reporting and enterprise research for print and online media.
- Collaborate with editors on features and regional election pieces. Provide supplemental coverage for North Augusta Today.
North Augusta Today, Augusta, Ga.
Editor, May 2008-March 2010
- Supervised the writing, editing, layout and photography of a 17,000 circulation weekly tabloid.
- Supervised two reporters on 10 to 12 stories a week in addition to 20 standing features and profiles.
- Piloted social networking methods and implemented the largest media social network community in North Augusta and Aiken County. Northaugustatoday.com readership improved from 8,000 monthly hits in 2008 to 20,000 monthly hits in 2010.
- Collaborated with The Augusta Chronicle marketing and advertising team on promotional opportunities to brand North Augusta Today, which is currently the most profitable weekly newspaper in Morris Publishing.
- Instituted a partnership with local high school journalism programs to promote scholastic journalism through local high school coverage.
The Augusta Chronicle, Augusta, Ga.
South Carolina Bureau Staff Writer, June 2006-Feb. 2010
- Covered education in Aiken and Edgefield for a 75,000 circulation daily newspaper.
- Covered the Savannah River Site for energy and science from March 2007 – May 2008, including the demise of removing nuclear waste from South Carolina to secure facilities at Yucca Mountain in Nevada.
Anderson Independent-Mail, Anderson, S.C.
General Assignment Reporter, May 2005-Sept. 2005
- Covered Anderson, Oconee and Pickens counties and three Georgia counties for education, features, government, police, business and health.
- Responsible for five to 10 stories a week and photographs in a 48,000 circulation daily newspaper.
The Associated Press, Columbia, S.C.
Intern, Jan. 2005-May 2005, Jan. 2006-May 2006
- Contributed to coverage of S.C. statehouse committee meetings with news briefs.
The Gamecock, University of South Carolina
Staff Writer, 2002-2006
- Wrote features and news stories with a focus on cultural events and politics.
- B.A. Journalism and Mass Communications, University of South Carolina, 2002-2006
- Society of Professional Journalists, 2006-2011
- Georgia Press Association, 2006-2011
- Judge for the Virginia High School League scholastic newspaper division, 2007-2012
- Judge and volunteer for the South Carolina Scholastic Press Association and
Southern Interscholastic Press Association, 2005-present
- Hyperlocal journalism; multimedia reporting and research; news, business and feature writing; AP style; editing and design; online publishing; social network collaborations and marketing; event planning; project management; interviewing; storytelling; cross-departmental collaborations.
- Proficient in Windows and Mac OS platforms; MS Office; Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and InCopy; FileMaker Pro; and digital photojournalism.